Built by a Convict
Johnathan Tunbridge (the name-giver of the hill north of the property) was a convict (No 78380) sentenced to be transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1826, at the age of 14; he arrived in 1829. In 1858, he purchased three large parcels of land from the Crown in the Bream Creek / Coppington / Ragged Tier area (names that were interchangeable at the time), and when the scrub and heavy timber had been cleared from it, built a 'dwelling house' on one particular patch of that land. The original dwelling was most likely built before 1870, by Jonathan Tunbridge; modern additions and renovations date to between 1988 and 2008. First described in Tunbridge's will of 1903 as a parcel separated from his larger land lots, when he bequeathed it, and the dwelling on it, to his granddaughter.
Research into convict history, and subsequent history of ownership of this property from 1858 to 2019 - free PDF
vistas around the wider area of the 'Fattening Paddock'
Roaring Swell at Marion Bay Beach.
(Banner Image Taken from Front Bedroom of House)
Sunrise View from Tunbridge Hill
Encircled is the approximate location of the property, which is above the early morning autumn mist that is lying over Copping (centre-right).